Wednesday, December 2, 2009

it's all in the eyes - great tip


I've been working on dog portraits and got some good advise from an artist on FB, she says
start w/the eyes first, if they don't come out, then scrap the picture. I followed her advise.
The first eye no problem, the next one, the black kept running - they paper was too wet,
and I was too impatient. After several blots and attempts I finally got two good eyes.
When making a portrait for someone, it is very important to get the color of the eyes in the
photo they send. I take the file, and blow it up on my PC screen to study. I also make a
black and white photo to see the darks and highlights better. So, far, people are really enjoying
my work. And I do think that w/each painting my skill improves. That is the goal, make people happy
at a price they can afford. The job market is so lousy right now, I feel blessed to have sold some paintings
immediately. No, I haven't recouped the price of paint, but the experience is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive